A recent article in the Harvard Business Review shares the story of Jess Jacobs, a Six Sigma Green Belt who blogged about her experiences in waiting rooms as she was being treated for two rare diseases.
What compelled her to blog about these experiences? For the most part it stemmed from frustration she was feeling in spending far more time waiting for treatment in relation to the actual amount of time she was being cared for. As a person trained in improving processes and maximizing efficiency, these waiting room encounters were disheartening.
How many other patients have waiting room experiences like Jess? Odds are, there are thousands of individuals on a daily basis feeling like their precious time is being frittered away by waiting room inefficiency.
Is there a solution to snail-pace waiting times and clumsy communication in clinics and emergency rooms?
Expert-driven efficiency for waiting rooms, rooted in RTLS technology
ZulaFly’s Fuzion software is a system developed by experienced industry experts to improve the waiting room experience. While the healthcare industry may never be able to completely eliminate waiting times within facilities, Fuzion arms these organizations with data and real-time information that enhances the quality of care.
How does Fuzion improve the patient experience? Here a few examples:
- ZulaFly quickly helps facilities know how much time their patients are spending with caregivers.
- Real-Time Locating System (RTLS) technology indicates where patients are spending time in the facility before heading home.
- Wrestling with high readmission rates? Facilities can quickly run reports to understand which phases of care a patient went through—and for how long—before they were discharged.
- Fuzion’s customized reports reveal information, such as which caregivers are spending the most time with patients, along with response times.
- Are patients waiting while staff find the proper equipment to help care for them? RTLS helps them quickly find equipment that is available for use.
- Workflow plans can be created with specific patients in mind, fostering an environment where strategy is developed based on the type of procedure and length of stay the patient experienced.
- If a hospital-borne infection does occur, RTLS will quickly indicate who and where interactions have occurred to contain the situation.
- Fuzion efficiently shows cycle times while patients are visiting the hospital, helping facilities make decisions on providing the best care possible.
Ultimately, Jess Jacobs spent an estimated 54 days waiting for treatment, while she figured less than one percent of her in-facility experience was spent actually getting care. While time is precious to all patients, those who are dealing with serious or terminal illness can feel a heightened sense of their time being wasted.
Fuzion allows patients to feel less stress and more caregiver control throughout the waiting room experience, while not only working to bring them back to health, but also returning one of life’s most valuable, irreplaceable gifts: time.